74
General News Fri, 30 Nov 2007

Attorney-General takes over President's accident case

Accra, Nov. 30, GNA - The Office of the Attorney-General has taken over the case of Thomas Osei, the driver who hit President John Agyekum Kufuor's car on the Liberation Link, near Opeibea House, on November 14. Mr Edward Agyeman Duodu, a Principal State Attorney, who announced this to the Motor Court in Accra, said: "We received the case docket from the Police yesterday and were studying it."


Mr Duodu said the Attorney-General was of the view that certain aspects of the case should be investigated and investigations had not been completed.


"We are therefore applying to the court to give us two weeks to enable us to complete investigations and prefer the appropriate charges against the accused person. At this instance we ask that accused remain in custody," he added.


Osei, 51, who is being held for dangerous driving, negligently causing harm, driving under the influence of alcohol and failing to give way to the presidential convoy, looked refreshed when he made his second appearance in court.


Osei's plea is yet to be taken by the court.


Mr Kwame Boafo Akuffo, who represented Osei, said he was aware of how the case was being conducted with various security agencies adding; "I am surprised that it was only yesterday that the Attorney-General received the case docket."

ADVERTISEMENT

Mr Akuffo prayed the court to intervene and expedite investigations considering the number of days his client had spent in custody. According to him, his client had been supportive and cooperative and his continuous incarceration would lead to the infringement of his liberty.


"I am concerned about the liberty of my client and I want to see that work is done and justice is done to all."


Mr Akuffo said he was disputing the facts of the case and that the accident happened in the full glare of the public, adding that this was not the first time the presidential convoy was involved in an accident. He objected to the two weeks adjournment sought by the prosecution and prayed the court for seven days.


The court, presided over by Mr. Samuel Diwuoh granted the application of the prosecution, remanded the accused into police custody and adjourned the case to December 14.


Soon after the hearing the police whisked him into a waiting police car amidst heavy security. Before the police car took off, his relatives and sympathisers, who were present waved at Osei assuring him of seeing him again.


The prosecutor Chief Inspector Dora Seiwaah at the last sitting said at about 1030 hours on November 14, Osei, who was driving a Mercedes Benz SE 500 saloon car with registration number GT 2989 W was in the inner lane along the South Liberation Link from AFGO towards 37th Military Hospital.

ADVERTISEMENT

When he arrived at the Opeibea traffic light, he ignored the siren of the presidential convoy and drove straight into the rear offside portion of the President's Mercedes Benz 550 saloon car.


The Prosecution said the impact forced the President's vehicle to spin around and hit a light pole on the central reserve.


The President's vehicle fell on its right side and landed on a VW Golf saloon car with registration number GW 8750 K driven by Pastor Ken Joe Osei Kuffuor, who was driving from 37th Military Hospital. Chief Inspector Seiwaah said President Kufuor escaped unhurt. All the vehicles were damaged and the drivers, who sustained injuries, were rushed to the 37th Military Hospital. She said the accused person was also admitted at the same hospital.


The prosecutor said further investigations revealed that Osei was driving under the influence of alcohol as when he was tested with an Alco Sensor it read 0.41 per cent content of alcohol in his breath instead of the legal limit of 0.08 per cent.

Source: GNA
Related Articles: