16
General News Thu, 24 May 2012

Carbon Monoxide, Likely Cause Of Death Of Football Fans

There is suspicion that the senior technician, Eric Kwadae, and his friend, Nii Ako Ashong, who died at Teiman near Oyarifa last Saturday might have inhaled volumes of carbon monoxide produced from a stand-by generator which was located in the room where they died.

DCOP Christian Tetteh Yohuno, the Deputy Accra Regional Commander, who gave the hint, said the police have learnt that a generator which was used to power a TV during the UEFA Champions League match between Chelsea and Bayern Munich was locked in the room throughout the match.

He told The Finder that the police suspect that the generator produced volumes of carbon monoxide because the generator was in an enclosed environment with all the louvres closed.

According to him, the attention of the doctors had been drawn to the findings by the crime scene investigators to enable them direct their post-mortem to that area.

The police have also passed the new evidence to doctors who are treating the two survivors at the Ridge Hospital. The survivors are Boye Annang, 33 and Ayi Ayeh 30.

It will be recalled that Kwadae and Ashong were said to have met their untimely death after drinking Agya Appiah Bitters and eating rice and light soup with pork to celebrate the victory of Chelsea over Bayern Munich last Saturday.

The deceased, both 53 years, watched the match with two others in the hall of the technician after they had returned from a funeral that night.

Source: The Finder