Chief, 49 others remanded for disturbances at Princes Town.
Takoradi, Nov. 17, GNA- Fifty people including Nana Kwasi Kpolley Arde III, chief of Akatenkyi near Princes Town in the Ahanta West district have been remanded in police custody when they appeared before the Takoradi Magistrate's court on Friday.
Nana Arde was charged for organising the celebration of a festival without Police permit contrary to Act 491 of the Public Order Act. The rest were charged for murder, rioting with offensive weapons, causing unlawful harm, and causing unlawful damage.
The pleas of Nana Arde and the other suspects were not taken and would reappear before the court on November 30, 2007. The Prosecutors, Inspector Juliana Essel Dadzie and Inspector Michael Ahiadzu prayed the court to remand the suspects in custody to enable the Police to complete investigations into violent clashes during the celebration of the Kundum festival at Princes town on Monday. Two people were shot dead, and many others received various degrees of injuries while 22 houses were burnt during the clashes. In a related development, Princes Town and nearby Aketenkyi had virtually been deserted, and had been described by Mr Robert Azu, acting Western Regional Police Commander as "ghost towns".
Briefing the Ghana News Agency on the security situation in the town, he said all the men in the town had taken to the bush leaving behind women and children.
He said when members of the Regional Security Committee visited the area on Thursday, it was realised that all schools had been closed-down and teachers have taken refuge at Agona-Nkwanta, the district capital. Mr Azu said the security situation was still volatile and the presence of security personnel in the town towns would be maintained, "as long as it is necessary".