Chiefs disassociate themselves from installation of Omanhene
Sunyani (Brong Ahafo) 30 April ?99
Twenty-one people, claiming to be the recognised divisional chiefs of the Banda traditional area in the Brong-Ahafo Region have disassociated themselves from the installation and subsequent outdooring of a new paramount chief for the traditional area.
They described the ceremony as "fake" and illegal and calculated to throw dust into the eyes of the public.
In a statement signed by the secretary to the traditional council, Mr A.Y. Ababio, and the chiefs said, contrary to media reports, only three out of the 24 divisional chiefs actually swore the oath of allegiance to the "so-called" new Omanhene.
The chiefs said they still recognise Osabarima Okokyeredom Kwadwo Sito as the only legitimate Omanhene of the traditional area and accused the Petelli Royal Family of Kabrono of "causing confusion and engaging in provocative acts that could cause tension and conflict".
They said their action was unlawful because an injunction was served on the Petelli Royal Family almost one week before the installation which showed disrespect for law and order.
The statement said the Kralongo Royal family of Banda-Ahenkro is contemplating a contempt suit against the Petelli Family in view of the action.
"We the divisional chiefs of the Banda traditional area do not recognise the so-called newly installed and outdoored Omanhene," the statement said, and warned the public not to transact business with the new chief.
It would be recalled that on April 25, a 30-year-old student of the Ghana Institute of Languages, Mr Emmanuel Yaw Boadu, who had been installed as the Banda Omanhene under the stool name Nana Sakyame Sene-Apem II was outdoored at a ceremony at Banda Kabrono.