E/R Security Council places 2,000 Ghana cedis reward
Suhum (E/R), Feb. 27, GNA - The Eastern Regional Security Council has made an offer of 2,000 Ghana cedis to anybody who would provide information leading to the arrest of perpetrators of the recent serial killings at Suhum.
The Deputy Eastern Regional Police Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police Rev Ampah Bane, said this at a public forum at Suhum on Tuesday.
Suhum in recent times has experienced mysterious killings and seven people have so far been killed. Most of them were night watchmen at their duty posts.
Although it is believed that the killings might be for ritual purposes none of the body parts of the victims was removed. Rev Bane said the security agencies were not relenting in their efforts to bring the perpetrators to book hence the large security presence in the town.
He said when the incident started the Regional Security Council sent 39 police personnel to patrol the town and later the Ministry of Interior sent additional 31 to beefed up security.
Rev Bane said the police were on the ground doing everything possible to unravel the mystery and appealed to the citizens to provide information that would lead to the arrest of the killers. The Eastern Regional Minister, Mr Kwadwo Afram Asiedu, said the activities of the perpetrators indicated that they were sophisticated and time was needed to unravel the mystery and bring them to book. He expressed concern about certain publications on the issue in the media and said it was not time to apportion blame.
Mr Asiedu commended the District Chief Executive, Mr Michael Kofi Mensah, for his hard work that had seen the district enjoying some development including school buildings, clinics, markets and roads. The Chief of Suhum, Osabarima Ayeh Kofi, said the mystery killing had led to the formation of watch dog committees to partner the police to patrol the town at night but lack of funds to support them had crippled their activities.