Government lifts curfew in Anloga
Accra, Nov. 30, GNA - Government on Friday announced that the dusk-to-dawn curfew imposed on the people of Anloga and its environs in the wake of the chieftaincy-related violence has been lifted with immediate effect.
However, the ban on people carrying guns and ammunition still remained in force in Anloga, Keta and environs, a statement signed by Mrs Oboshie Sai-Cofie said.
It said the curfew had been lifted as a result of the present state of peace and tranquillity in the area.
A police and military presence would, however, be maintained, to ensure the consolidation of the present state of calm and stability, which had been attained in the area, the statement said. "Government acknowledges the cooperation of the elders and people of the area, and appreciates that the majority of the people have shown a peace-loving and law-abiding nature during this unfortunate period. "The Government further informs the public that the order obtained by the Attorney-General under the Public Order Act, which restrains Francis Nyonyo Agboada, the Anlo Traditional Council, the Kingmakers of Anlo, or indeed any other person, from any action purported to advance the enstoolment, outdooring, or swearing in of an Awoamefia remains in full force."
The statement warned that any action which could be linked to that purpose would therefore by seen to have contravened the injunction, and would be met with the full rigors of the law.
It asked all parties involved to seek to resolve their differences through the Regional and National Houses of Chiefs, and the courts. "As the season of peace and goodwill approaches, it is hoped that a spirit of brotherly love, peace and harmony will prevail amongst us all," it said. 30 Nov. 07