General News Mon, 8 Oct 2018

Man dies in police cells at Tafo/Pankrono command

The family of 52-year-old man who allegedly died in police cells at old Tafo want thorough investigation into the death of their relative.

The family wants to know among other things, what killed their relative and how he allegedly died.

Boazor Tong was arrested on a suspicion of possession of narcotics by the Tafo Pankrono Divisional Police command on September 21.

He was put before the court and eventually remanded into police custody.

Police say the 52-year-old died while receiving treatment at the Tafo government hospital but the family insists, the police narration is not a true reflection of what occurred.

The arrest of late Boazor was effected on Friday, September 21 at about 2pm by police from the divisional command.

Eyewitnesses say, they pleaded with the police to let him go because of Boazor's condition at the time.

"We pleaded with them to allow him because he has been with us here." One of the eyewitnesses who knew the deceased says.

Boazor was in police cells for about two weeks. None of his family members knew about his arrest - not even his divorced wife, Asibi Atongo.

At about 10pm Wednesday, October 3, the assembly member for Yenyawso Moshie zongo electoral area, Razak Awudu says, he had a called from the police command about the death of Boazor.

Awudu had to make a followup to the police station day after to deliberate with the police on the matter.

"Later, they told me the fell and died at the hospital". Awudu explains

But one of the inmates who was in cells with Boazor gives different narration to the story.

Afriyie Charles, not his real name says, their noise in the cells to bring the attention of the police about the dying man could not yield any positive results.

Afriyie Charles says Boazor died before the police came to carry the body out of the cells.

" We saw him passing urine and we came frightened. In fact, we were afraid." Mensah adds.

Divisional police command would not want to speak to the matter. The police say they aren't in capacity to speak to the media.

All attempts to speak to the regional command proved futile.

But the Boazor's family wants the matter to be investigated.

Source: www.ghanaweb.com