Minority Parties Ask Akufo Addo To Concede
STATEMENT ISSUED BY PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES WHO CONTESTED THE DECEMBER 7, 2009 ELECTIONS ON THE OUTCOME OF THE 28 DECEMBER 2008 2ND ROUND ELECTION – 30 DECEMBER 2008
1. We wish to commend the Electoral Commission, the political parties and the people of Ghana for the work done so far and the extent of participation in the 2008 elections. We want to ask the Electoral Commission to use the actual votes cast by the people and announce the results agreed upon and confirmed by the official representatives of the political parties.
2. We appeal to the losing candidate and his political party as and when declared by the Electoral Commission to accept the result of the 28 December election in good faith and endeavour to work with the leadership and supporters of the parties to abide by the will of the people.
3. We appeal to the winning candidate and his political party as and when declared by the Electoral Commission to take the confidence given to them by the electorate with great care, be magnanimous in victory and ensure that peace and stability prevails in the country.
4. We repeat our recommendation to the eventual winner and the next President of the Republic of Ghana to consider bringing greater inclusiveness to our society and do everything possible to unite our people and give opportunity to all Ghanaians to serve the people.
5. We are aware that we live in very challenging times when the expectations of our people for democracy are high. We dare not fail them. It is imperative to put Ghana first above our individual interests. Let there be transparency and encouragement of trust in one another.
Date: 30 December 2008