No Presidential directive on June 4 celebration - Akologu
Accra, June 1, GNA - The Ministry of Information on Tuesday, described as false, a newspaper publication that President John Evans Atta Mills has instructed his ministers not to participate in the June 4 celebrations.
A statement issued in Accra and signed by Mr John Tia Akologu, Minister of Information, said no such directive had been issued, explaining that any Ghanaian including members of the executive who believed in the ideals of June 4 were at liberty to celebrate it.
It emphasised that government or state resources would not be spent on the celebrations, noting that activities marking the June 4 event was bei ng put together by private groups and not the state.
"Any claim attributed to unnamed sources that ministers and other appointees have been asked not to participate in June 4 can only be a fabrication," the statement said. Meanwhile, President Mills has directed that, ministers, deputy ministers and all appointees who do not have any assigned roles at the So uth Africa World Cup 2010, should not travel to South Africa.