0
General News Sat, 24 Nov 2001

Research Institutions should be relevant to industries - Kufuor

President John Kufuor on Friday asked the Board of Directors of the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) to ensure that research findings were brought into the mainstream of industries.

This would make it possible for the society to be aware of the potentials existing to be exploited for the benefit of the people.

He said when the research findings were made available and the various institutions and industries failed to take advantage of them, the Board of Directors should take the initiative and send the findings to them.

President Kufuor made the call when he administered the official oath and oath of secrecy to the 21-member Board of Directors for the CSIR at the Castle, Osu.

He said there was the need to well equip the research institutions because the CSIR was made up of people with the requisite knowledge and competence to push the country's industrial development forward. Unfortunately, however, their research findings had not been well utilised for the people.

ADVERTISEMENT

"You should therefore spearhead the transformation of the society and utilisation of research findings to bring them into the mainstream of the various industries and society for the benefit of the people."

Professor E.S. Ayensu, a Consultant Scientist and Chairman of the Board of Directors, said the CSIR had not been able to achieve the objectives for its establishment and play its strategic role in the socio-economic development of the country.

He said about 90 per cent of the budgetary allocation to the council was used for salaries leaving a meagre 10 per cent for research.

Professor Ayensu called for a review of the CSIR Act of 1996 to make it more relevant to the private sector.

Source: .
ADVERTISEMENT