General News Sat, 3 Jun 2006

Robbery at Legon ?Okponglo?

A group of armed robbers stormed an Internet caf? on the campus of the University of Ghana, Legon, in the early hours of Monday, and made away with cash, a laptop computer, a scanner, pen drives and mobile phones.

The incident occurred at about 1 am at the Net Connect Caf? located at Sarbah Hall, Annex B, popularly called ?Okponglo?.

Some of the victims mainly students of the university and operators of the caf?, sustained minor injuries while others were traumatized by the frightful experience they went through.

?For about 10 minutes after the armed robbers, numbering five, had left us, I could not find my bearing?, one of the victims, said in an interview.

Currently, the school is on vacation and the armed robbers might have taken advantage of quiet atmosphere on campus to carry out their mission.

Some of the students who happened to have been in the TV room at ?Okponglo? (which is adjacent to the caf?) 11at the time of the robbery did not notice that something unusual was going on nearby.

Narrating the incident, the victim said he had gone to the caf? at about 11 pm to work on his academic project.

He added that they were six in the caf? when the four-armed robbers stormed the place, wielding locally manufactured guns and knives while the fifth one paraded the pavement.

According to the victim, one of the armed robbers hit him with a kitchen knife on the shoulder as they were ordered to lie down. The robbers then collected their mobile phones, pen drives, a laptop computer, a scanner, a DVD player and moneys they had on them, including the sales made by the operators of the Internet caf?.

He said the armed robbers appeared merciless as they cocked their guns on several occasions amidst threats of killing anyone who did not comply with their orders.

The victim said that at that scary moment he took refuge in the redemptive power of God as he kept praying for divine intervention while on the floor.

The victim said the Legon Police were later informed about the incident but when they were called for confirmation of the story, an officer at the station declined to comment, insisting that the reporter should personally come to the station for the confirmation.

Source: The Mirror