Sekondi (W/R), Sept. 23, GNA — Fishermen in the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis, on Friday demonstrated against the Fisheries Security Taskforce, for allegedly molesting them and seizing their generators on Thursday Sept. 22.
The fishermen clad in red attire held a press conference at Bosomtwi Fishing Harbour at Sekondi to express their displeasure against the action of the taskforce.
Mr. Joseph Eshun, Secretary to the Sekondi Canoe Owners Association, at the press conference expressed worry that the taskforce brutalized members of the Association without any provocation, forcibly entered their rooms and seized their generators under the pretext that they (fishermen) were using them for light fishing.
He said although section 688 of the Fisheries Act prohibits the use of explosives for fishing, it did not state categorically that generators are explosives.
He said generators were not used for light fishing at the time they were seized but they were being used to power their machines.
Captain (rtd) Anthony Cudjoe, the Metropolitan Chief Executive for Sekondi-Takoradi, visited the Bosomtwi Fishing Harbour upon hearing of the demonstration.
He expressed displeasure over the molestation of the fishermen by the taskforce and asked the team to be moderate in the discharge of its duties.
Capt Cudjoe said although the taskforce had been mandated to enforce the Fisheries Act, it was not wrong for the members to brutalize the fishermen.