General News Sat, 19 Jul 2008

Vigil held for Tsikata

Accra, July 19, GNA- Christians have been urged not to lose faith in God when they encounter challenges in life.

The Reverend Stephen Asher, Senior Pastor of Asbury Dunwell Church made the call on Friday at a vigil service held by the Church in support of the fast release of incarcerated former chief executive of the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) Mr. Tsatsu Tsikata.

The Church, in support of the release of its jailed member held worship, prayer and candle light vigil sessions.

"Sometimes you lose a relative and you are in a sorrowful mood but remember that, it draws you closer to God... the Lord uses such challenges to let his glory manifest before mankind.

"Paul was in the same situation but he was saved. God needs to grant our total dependence on him by taking away our burden. Whiles we pray for the liberty of Mr. Tsikata let us also pray for the liberty of our souls," Reverend Asher said.


He said the incarceration of Mr. Tsikata was God's will to let something special come out of him in order to manifest the Lord's glory. There was ministration of songs by the Asbury Dunwell Church song group and Gospel Trio Daughters of Glorious Jesus.

Among those present at the service were his wife Mrs. Esther Tsikata, brother,

Mr. Fui Tsikata, family and church members as well as friends and loved ones. Mr. Tsatsu Tsikata, was on Wednesday June 18 convicted and sentenced to five years' imprisonment for causing financial loss to the state and charged with three counts of willfully causing financial loss of about GH¢230,000 to the state through a

loan he, on behalf of the GNPC, guaranteed for Valley Farms, a private cocoa producing company, and another count of misapplying GH¢2,000 in public property.

Valley Farms contracted the loan from Caisse Francaise de Developement in 1991 but defaulted in the payment and the GNPC, which acted as the guarantor, was compelled to pay it in 1996.


Mr. Tsikata pleaded not guilty to the charges and was granted a self-recognizance bail.

He was found guilty on all the four counts and sentenced to five years'

imprisonment each to run concurrently.

Source: GNA