Workers at Presidential Palace threaten strike
Accra, Sept. 1 GNA - Workers at the Presidential Palace under construction in Accra on Monday threatened to withdraw their services if their daily wage of GHC 3.00 is not increased.
The workers, chanting war songs at the site in Accra, said they had been cheated by the management of Shapoorji Pallonji, the Indian construction company, since work started.
Mr Henry Pappoe who spoke on behalf on the workers in an interview with GNA said the Indian officials working at the site were paid far higher than the Ghanaian artisans.
"The management has not increased the amount since we were employed. Aside that, they have not given us appointment letters or entered into an agreement with us to talk about when we will be ending our contract."
They have not given us identity cards but just a gate pass card which they collect at the close of work each day."
Mr. Pappoe noted that work at the Palace was about 98 per cent complete and many of the workers would be laid off. "Because these Indians do not want to pay the redundancy entitled to workers who will be laid off, management is now sacking many of our colleagues without any cause."
However, the Indian project coordinator said, "I will not comment on the issues. If you want any information go to the Castle." The 50-million dollar Presidential Palace at the Flagstaff House when completed would comprise the offices for the President, Vice-President and support staff.
It would also have a banquet hall and an underground water tank. There would be a commercial building which would be used for other activities such as banking services.