The Minister of Youth and Sports, Nii Lante Vanderpuye, has stated that his outfit and, by extension, the Government of Ghana, fully backs Ghanaian boxer Richard Commey’s decision to appeal his IBF title defeat to American Robert Easter jnr.
The boxer lost by a split decision after travelling the full 12 rounds of the bout with Ester Jnr, in their IBF lightweight title contest in Reading, Pennsylvania last Friday.
Commey, who arrived back in Accra last Monday, made no secret of his desire to appeal the decision, which he deems as unfair.
The Sports Minister Nii Lante Vanderpuye, who was at the airport to welcome him home and wish him better luck in his future engagements, said he and the government of Ghana will back Commey’s appeal.
“I can assure you that the government fully supports Commey’s decision to appeal the verdict because we believe he was cheated and deserves a second chance,” the minister told the press.
After the fight, the 29-year-old Commey, who until last week, was undefeated said, “I feel like I won this fight. I did everything that I could. I landed the more accurate shots. I come from very far, and it’s hard to win here versus an American. I deserve a rematch.
“I was very devastated when I heard the scores. I knew it was a close fight. He went down, but I didn’t.
“I want to be a world champion. Even if he doesn’t want to fight me, I want another opportunity. I can fight at the highest level in the world. We worked so hard to get to this stage. I want to stay at this level. I’ll keep improving.”
It is yet to be seen if Commey will get the rematch he is yearning for, but even in defeat, the 29-year-old believes he clearly showcased that he deserves another chance on the big stage.