League Report Sun, 4 Feb 2007

Liberty hold RTU and sends fans wild

Tamale, Feb. 04, GNA - Real Tamale United (RTU) on Sunday again split the points at the Kaladan Park when they were held by visiting Dansoman Liberty Professionals to a 1-1 drawn game in the Onetouch Premier League encounter.

The fans and spectators of the home side sat on 'thorns' as they yearned for goals during the dying minutes of the match and openly expressed their fears and worries about the team likely to go on relegation.

RTU opened scoring as early as the second minute of the first half through Peter Yakubu, giving hope and smiles to the fans as an indication of anticipation of total victory.

The jubilation was however short-lived when the visitors redeemed the goal in the 27th minute by Yaw Antwi and attempts by RTU to increase the tally failed before FIFA referee Joseph McCarthy of Cape Coast whistled for the recess.

During the recess, Mr. Haruna Iddrisu a supporter of the Club pledged to give any player who scored a goal 100 dollars while Mr. Mohammed Amin Adam, Tamale Metropolitan Chief Executive also gave the team five million cedis as motivation to win the match but the promises failed to save the situation.

After the recess, the RTU lads were more determined to score but luck eluded them as all their shots at goal went off target. RTU had a penalty in the 65th minute but Akwasi Soaley failed to convert the kick making the fans go wild and disappointed. One could hear the fans shouting at the top of their voices, "What would be the use of the new stadium if you go on relegation", and urged the players to make all efforts to win all their remaining matches to avoid relegation.


Chances upon chances came the way of RTU but they lacked scoring ideas and in some instances Liberty's goalie, Nana Bonsu stood between posts and RTU until the referee brought proceedings to an end the match one all.

At Ho, a 76th minute penalty goal earned Accra Great Olympics a 2-1 victory over Gamba All Blacks in their Onetouch Premier encounter at the Ho Sports Stadium on Sunday.

Both teams had tied one-all when in the 48th minute Olympics struggled to cancel a 23rd minute lead by All Blacks. It was visiting Gamba All Blacks who gave an early indication of an uncompromising game as they set a fast pace in the first minutes of the game to earn a deserving lead in the 23rd minute from Paul Appiah's low grounder after beating an offside trap by the home side. The visitors held onto their early advantage to end the first half in their favour.

Olympics came back from the recess with much determination and snatched the equalizer in the 48th minute when Edward Sosu headed home a Michael Ocansey corner-kick.

The equalizer served as a tonic for Olympics and increased the pressure on All Blacks who conceded a spot-kick when a hard pressed defender handled the ball in the vital area leaving Class One referee Joe Debrah no option than to award a spot kick in the 76th minute for Sosu to convert to earn Olympics the 2-1 victory. All Blacks brought in two fresh limbs in the 77th and 83rd minutes in an effort to cancel Olympics lead but failed to achieve their desire. All Blacks' Idan Bismark however earned his team a consolation for been adjudged the man of the match.

Source: GNA