General News of Tue, 29 May 201813
Nyantakyi, Karbo media trial must stop – Lawyer
Journalists and radio commentators must cease the media trial of Kwasi Nyantakyi and Anthony Karbo, President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) and Deputy Minister of Roads and Highways, respectively, Garry Nimako, a private legal practitioner has said.
According to him, persons who have not viewed the yet-to-be premiered video by investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas in connection with which the two gentlemen were invited and questioned by the Criminal Investigations Department of the Ghana Police Service must not be denigrated and sentenced in the media even before they are officially charged for any wrongdoing.
Mr Nimako, who is lawyer for Mr Karbo, told Chief Jerry Forson on Ghana Yensom on Accra 100.5FM on Tuesday, 29 May that it is not fair for persons to be tried in the media whereas no court of competent jurisdiction has found those persons guilty of any offence.
“I have always maintained that the media trial of persons accused of wrong doing must stop, it is not fair for you to be judging an accused person in the media before they are sent to court,” he said.
He added: “Even the tape people are talking about we haven’t viewed it, those running commentary on it in the media have also not viewed it, and, so, what are they talking about?”
On Monday, 28 May, Mr Karbo reported himself to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) headquarters of the Ghana Police Service at about 10am in relation to the yet-to-be-aired exposé.
Editor-in-Chief of the New Crusading Guide, Abdul-Malik Kwaku Baako had revealed earlier that Mr Karbo was “mentioned” in the documentary.
However, it is not yet clear how he is connected to the ongoing saga. Mr Karbo is the second person invited by the police over the video.
Mr Nyantakyi earlier reported himself to the Police and was subsequently arrested and granted bail.
Today's Sports News