0
Sports News Mon, 16 Mar 2020

Click for Market Deals →

Premier League clubs plot next move after suspension of Ghana League

Some Ghana Premier League clubs have welcomed the ‘unfortunate but necessary’ decision by the President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to ban all social gatherings, including church activities, funerals, weddings and sporting events.

In the late hours of Sunday, March 15, the president addressed the nation on some drastic and decisive measures taken by the government to control the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

Shortly after the president’s speech, the Ghana Football Association issued a statement, announcing the immediate suspension of the Ghana Premier League, Division One League and all football products.

GhanaWeb has been soliciting views of some GPL clubs on the ban and they believe it’s a step in the right direction.

The spokesperson of Great Olympics said footballers like every other human being stand a risk of contracting the virus so if the government is taking measures to mitigate its spread, the club welcomes it with open arms.

He was hopeful that the situation will be dealt with for normalcy to return to Ghana football and the country at large.

He added that the club’s management will meet later today to deliberate on the way forward for the club. Among the decisions to be taken is the release of the players.

The communications director of table-toppers Medeama SC said the club has no reason to protest the decision of the government in the face of all that is happening in the world.

He said it is important the club protect its players from the virus and are committed to ensuring that none of their players and technical staff suffer from the pandemic.

A decision on the players is due to be made later today at a meeting of management.

There were similar comments from the spokesperson of Kumasi Asante Kotoko who described the whole situation as unfortunate but endorsed the government’s latest stance on the matter. Like the others, club management will make a definite decision on the players’ camping and training later today.

The ban on social gatherings is expected to last four weeks.

Ghana has so far recorded six cases and the government says it is working tirelessly to ensure its containment.

The Ministry of Information has already embarked on a sensitization campaign to educate Ghanaians on how they can stay safe from the virus.

Citizens are advised to regularly wash their hands with soap and water under running water, stay away from social gatherings, use hand sanitizers among others.

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter

Related Articles: