Ahwiaa (Ash), Feb 25, GNA- about 50 passports were among property destroyed on Monday, February 9 when fire gutted a house at Ahwiaa. Other items destroyed included furniture, refrigerators, imported wax prints, television sets and electrical goods.
Briefing the press on the disaster at Mamponteng on Wednesday, Mr Peter Boateng, Kwabre District Co-ordinator of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) said the properties of all the 22 tenants in the house, running into several millions of cedis were destroyed.
He said the fire was not detected early because majority of the tenants had gone to a nearby church and by the time the alarm was raised and the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) personnel were called in, virtually everything had burnt Mr Boateng, who attributed the fire to an electrical fault, said a report on the disaster had been made to NADMO headquarters. He indicated that a training programme for fire volunteers in the district had started in communities and called on the Kwabre District Assembly to assist NADMO in the training of the volunteers.