The Ghana Bar Association (GBA) Friday, added its voice to call on the authorities responsible to maintaining the security of the State, to utilise every necessary force at the command of the State to end the emerging trend of brazen armed robbery attacks.
In a statement jointly signed by its President, Johnson Nutsukpui and Justin Amenuvor, at Bolgatanga, the GBA said: “The alarming spate of robberies has the potential of undermining our democracy and must be nipped in the bud with all the necessary force at the command of the State.
“Consequently, the Bar calls upon the Minister of Interior and the Inspector General of Police to immediately institute measures that will ensure the safety and security of all the citizens of the country.
“The GBA further calls upon the Government to ensure that the Ghana Police Service is properly resourced to enable it to undertake its duties.”
It urged the Inspector General of Police to ensure a thorough investigation of all the incidents of robbery and bring the perpetrators to justice.
“Persons who engage in crimes including robbery must not escape the arm of the law,” it said.
“We, therefore, reiterate our previous calls for the rule of law, and the peace and security of our country to be guarded jealously.”
It said the recent spate of armed robberies in the country and the brazen nature of the attacks and utter disregard for human life by the perpetrators were very alarming and disturbing.
It expressed its condolence to the families and colleagues of persons who had lost their lives as a result of the robberies and all persons who had been victims of these robberies.
“The safety and security of law abiding citizenry is an essential component of the rule of law and must be protected and guarded by the State,” it said. “Citizens and nationals of other countries resident in Ghana should be able to go about their normal duties without a heightened sense of insecurity.”
Meanwhile, the Accra Regional Police announced Friday that they had arrested one suspect in connection with the daylight robbery that occurred at Royal Motors at the North Industrial Area in Accra, on Tuesday.
The robbers made away with some unspecified amount of cedis after attacking the workers.
The suspect, popularly known as Bebe, was reportedly apprehended by the Police at a hide-out at Ashalaja, a suburb of Accra.
Deputy Commissioner of Police, George Alex Mensah, the Regional Commander who announced this at a media conference, on Friday, also said two armed robbery suspects on the Police’s ‘Most Wanted’ list had been gunned down in a shoot-out at an undisclosed location.
On Wednesday, some armed robbers also attacked and killed a Lebanese cashier, who had gone to cash some 200,000 cedis from a bank and made away with the money.
However, the Government has assured Ghanaians that it would resource the Police Service to give of their best.
Yesterday, the IGP announced changes in 11 Command positions in the Service as part of efforts to ensure law and order.
Send your news stories to and features to . Chat with us via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.