General News of Mon, 14 May 20187
NDC flagbearship race: Declare now – Ex-MMDCEs to Mahama
Former Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives (MMDCEs) appointed under successive National Democratic Congress (NDC) governments, have appealed to former President John Dramani Mahama, to make an early declaration about his political intentions and also make himself available to serve the party and the nation.
This, they believe, will help the party to strategically position itself to snatch power from the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), which, in their view, has been unable to “better the lot of the ordinary Ghanaian, and has engaged in wanton dissipation of state resources.”
The former MMDCEs made the call in a communiqué after their maiden meeting in Accra on Saturday, 12 May 2018.
Meanwhile, Mr Mahama has said he will soon decide whether or not to contest the flag bearer slot of the NDC.
He told party supporters in Bolgatanga in the Upper East Region during the party’s Unity Walk on Saturday, 5 May that now that the NDC’s re-organisation is going “well” and almost over, he thought it was time to make that announcement.
Should he decide to run, Mr Mahama will be contending with former appointees Sylvester Mensah, Alban Bagbin and Ekwow Spio-Garbrah as well as former SSNIT Board Chair Prof Joshua Alabi, who have all expressed interest in running.
Mr Mahama had always postponed his announcement with reason that a premature declaration will throw the party’s re-organisation programme out of gear.
Below is the full communiqué:
NDC FORMER MMDCEs COMMUNIQUE
We, the former MMDCEs of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) gathered in MENSVIC HOTEL, East Legon, Accra for our maiden conference on Saturday 12th May, 2018 with an overall view to strengthening the NDC party through the reorganization in order to enhance victory for election 2020.
As a result of a one day session, we have resolved on the following four thematic areas:
• Re-organisation of former MMDCES from 1992 to 2000 and 2008 to 2016
• Re-organisation of the party.
• Strategy for election 2020.
• Party unity.
From the above, the following are recommended:
• Acknowledgement of our key roles at all levels of party structures and the need to include decisions makers from each of these various levels into the planning and implementation of programmes.
• We resolved to formalise this conference into fellowship with a common goal.
• We resolved to assist in the co-ordination of party programmes and activities for effective and efficient output due to the vast experiences we acquired as MMDCEs. We shall select a three member committee to coordinate party activities at the regional level by gathering updated information from all the former MMDCEs in the region about political and developmental issues to the Central Coordinating Unit (CCU) to be used by the National Executive Committee to formulate strategies, programmes and campaign messages for victory 2020 and beyond.
• The need to hold this conference at least once a year
• The need to have a representative at the national NEC and FEC of our party
• We have also resolved to provide all information and other resources necessary to the party structures towards victory 2020.
• We also resolved to re-organise ourselves to complement the effort of the branch, ward, constituency, regional and national executives in the formation and implementation of party plans and strategies.
• Our resolve has been to ensure that competent, loyal and hardworking executives are elected at the constituency, regional and national levels and duly motivated to capture one touch victory for election 2020.
• In pursuit of these resolutions, we will be fair and firm in our engagements with the established structures of our party especially the grassroots.
• Finally, we have noted with concern, the inability of the NPP to better the lots of the ordinary Ghanaian and has engaged in the wanton dissipation of state resources under the super incompetent NPP government led by Nana Akufo Addo.
We therefore call on all stakeholders of our party to put their hands on deck in order to ensure electoral victory for our great party come 2020. This has to be done with the sense of unity devoid of all acrimonies. To this end, we wish to urge the former President John Dramani to make an early declaration of his political intention and to appeal to him to make himself available for further services to our great party and our dear nation.
Long live former MMDCEs Long live NDC Long live Ghana