President John Dramani Mahama has toured the Saglemi Housing Project on August 20, 2026
President John Dramani Mahama has toured the Saglemi Housing Project as government steps up efforts to revive the stalled development and complete the abandoned housing units.
The President’s visit on Thursday, August 20, 2026, was to assess the current state of the project and progress towards its completion.
The Saglemi Housing Project was initiated in 2012 under the administration of the late President John Evans Atta Mills, with the original objective of constructing 5,000 affordable housing units to help address Ghana’s housing deficit.
However, President Mahama said the project suffered setbacks following a change in government, as legal issues and investigations contributed to the prolonged delay.
Ghana's prices are increasingly disconnected from workers' incomes - Prof Azar
“This was a vision that was started by Professor Atta Mills and I came to continue it. Unfortunately, when government changed hands, there were some legal issues and the new government said they wanted to investigate,” he said.
According to the President, the prolonged abandonment of the project also resulted in significant damage to the housing units, with several fittings and equipment stolen from the site.
“The project stalled, but the looters came in and stole everything: the cables, wash basins, fittings and electricals, and it was left with an empty shell,” he said.
President Mahama said government subsequently agreed to a private-sector partnership to facilitate the completion of the development.
He said the developer had set targets to complete 700 housing units by March 2027 for commissioning, with the total number expected to increase to 1,500 units by December 2027.
“The developer said that 700 units by March 2027 will be able to be commissioned, and a total of 1,500 by December 2027,” he added.
The President’s visit forms part of government’s efforts to revive stalled housing projects and expand access to affordable housing as the country continues to grapple with a significant housing deficit.
Watch the video below:
“You have seen the beautiful montage behind me. This is how it's going to look when you come back at the end of next year."
— SIKAOFFICIAL🦍 (@SIKAOFFICIAL1) August 20, 2026
— President John Dramani Mahama assures that construction work at the previously abandoned Saglemi Housing Project would see an immense increase, with the… pic.twitter.com/E20w0KZqgV