Menu

GoldBod GH¢22 Billion Loss: Minority files second motion to summon Sammy Gyamfi

Alexander Afenyo Markin   Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin is the Minority leader

Fri, 21 Aug 2026 Source: www.ghanaweb.com

The Minority in Parliament has filed a second motion seeking the establishment of an ad hoc committee to investigate the alleged GH¢22 billion loss linked to gold trade transactions involving the Ghana Gold Board and the Bank of Ghana.

The motion also seeks to summon the Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board, Sammy Gyamfi, to appear before the committee if Parliament approves the request.

GoldBod Saga: Sammy Gyamfi has beefed up his security over threats – Twum Boafo

Speaking on Good Evening Ghana on August 20, 2026, the Minority Leader Alexander Afenyo-Markin said the motion was filed at noon and was signed by several of its MPs, including Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, Tweneboah Koduah, Jerry Shaib Ahmed, Vincent Asafuah, Dr Kyei Asamoah and the Minority's Ranking Member on the Finance Committee, Dr Mohammed Amin Adam.

“We have filed the necessary processes. We don't just blow hot air. My colleagues have filed the motion. We have today at 12 noon filed a motion signed by respected Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, Tweneboah Koduah, Jerry Shaib Ahmed, Vincent Asafuah, Dr Kyei Asamoah, and our ranking on finance, Dr Mohamed Amin Adam,” he revealed.

Sharing details of the motion, Afenyo-Markin said that they are asking Parliament to set up an ad hoc committee to investigate the circumstances under which it said US$1.7 billion in losses was incurred in gold trade transactions between the Ghana Gold Board and the Bank of Ghana in 2025.

The committee is also expected to examine the circumstances surrounding the Bank of Ghana's declaration of a GH¢9 billion loss for 2025.

Afenyo-Markin added that all relevant documents had been attached to the motion for the Speaker to determine whether it should be admitted.

“We have filed and put forward our argument. All the documents are tied there too for Speaker, who has the power of admissibility to determine admissibility,” he said.

The latest motion follows an earlier attempt by the Minority to have Parliament investigate the matter. According to the caucus leader, the previous motion was delayed before it was eventually voted down.

“This is not different from the earlier one that we filed and same was voted. First of all, they delayed the motion for a long time. Each time we're going to take the motion, they will say they were not prepared. Eventually, after taking the motion, they whipped their numbers to vote against it.

“Since the chief executive has offered to come, I believe his party has heard him. We pray that the 189 majority will not stampede us,” he added.

Afenyo-Markin said an investigation should involve all parties connected to the transactions, including the Ghana Gold Board, the Bank of Ghana and gold aggregators.

'I wasn't directly attacking anybody' - Afenyo-Markin on 'scary' GoldBod bail comment

The Minority’s motion also called for the proceedings to be broadcast live due to the public interest in the matter and the size of the alleged loss.

“Gold Board must bring all its books. I mean, because they said they are ready. BOG must come. We would invite those we have to invite and have a live coverage because 22 billion is huge sum,” he indicated.



MAG/VPO

#TrendingGH: 'We have used it for years' - Traders speak on Ethemax use

Source: www.ghanaweb.com