Napo, others to storm KNUST following riots, vandalism

Vandalism Knust Irate students at KNUST have sparked chaos on the school's premises, following Friday's incident

Mon, 22 Oct 2018 Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Education Minister, Matthew Opoku Prempeh together with a delegation from the Ministry of Education will tomorrow, October 23rd 2018, visit the campus of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), following chaos that has rocked the institution since Friday October 19.

Protests have turned violent on the university’s campus after school authorities allegedly manhandled some students who were having a vigil at the forecourt of the hall Friday after management of the University had served notice that it had suspended the organisation of vigils, also known as ‘morales’ in the school.

10 students, and one alumnus, were arrested on Friday and subsequently, students threatened a demonstration to register their displeasure at what they describe as ‘harsh’ treatments being metted out to them by authorities.

The strike which included boycotting lectures became intense when some students in the Katanga hall in their agitation, destroyed some school property’s and ransacked the office of the Vice Chancellor.

They also burned down the official vehicle of the Dean of Students and ransacked security post on the school’s premises.

The Education Ministry, in a statement dated 22nd October and signed by Director of Communications, Vincent Ekow Assafuah indicated that a delegation will be sent to deliberate with authorities on the ongoing raucous to find lasting solutions.

The delegation “led by the Minister, Hon. Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh will meet the university authorities and students tomorrow 23rd October 2018 at 10 am.” it further stated.

The Ministry also urged all sides involved in the issue to remain calm as a ‘first step to resolving the difficulties’.

Below is the full statement


The School’s security on Friday [19th October 2018] pounced on unarmed students who were having a peaceful vigil at the forecourt of the hall in protest of management’s freeze on “morale”, a usual Friday night jamboree in all the halls at the school.

The University in a communique signed and posted both the Continental Hall and University Hall Management asked the student body to cease their usual ‘Friday Night Morale’ as the school has suspended the activity.

The notice read “Notice is hereby given that all forms of “morales” in and around the University Hall are suspended with immediate effect. This decision was taken in view of several negative issues encountered recently with respect to morales in the hall. Any person who flouts this directive shall receive the necessary sanction and response”.

A group of security men who were said to be acting based on orders from the authorities, allegedly manhandled students who reportedly flouted the rules and held a mini vigil and in the process one student sustained severe head injuries, bleeding profusely.

The injured student was immediately admitted to the KNUST Hospital for treatment on Friday evening, eyewitnesses disclosed to DAILY GUIDE on condition of anonymity.

Eleven (11) other students, including one former student of KNUST, who were said to be part of the demonstrators, were reportedly overpowered by the KNUST security men, who sent them to the Tech Police Station where they were caged.

Source: www.ghanaweb.com
Related Articles: