Savelugu MCE confirmed amidst tensions

Sun, 14 May 2017 Source: starrfmonline.com

Security forces in riot guns and gears overwhelmed angry protesters who besieged the Savelugu- Nanton municipal assembly office to influence a process Saturday morning to confirm an embattled Municipal Chief Executive nominee, Hajia Ayishetu Seidu.

Disgruntled NPP youth in the impoverished municipal capital extended a revolt against the nominee by storming the voting centre to intimidate assembly members into voting against Hajia Seidu, an accountant at Yendi hospital who they described as “stranger” and called for a replacement.

Soldiers and police had warned of ruthless respond on Friday evening when protesters issued a combative statement to resist electoral fraud and manipulations and vowed to attack the electoral college, raising tensions in the municipality which has history of political violence.

As many as 30 properly armed army and not less than 50 police officers with tear gas on Saturday barricaded entrance to the assembly hall after pushing back angry NPP youth and denying them access.

Assembly members, journalists, party executives and government officials were taken through vigorous security checks before being allowed to enter the voting hall.

An armoured vehicle was stationed and tensions escalated.

An angry protesters Abdulai Mohammed Rabiu (Chief Gaala) told StarrNews before the process they were to ensure “democracy is adhered to” and added “different avenues” would be put in place to ensure a turbulent administration if the nominee was endorsed.

“We are telling the assembly members to stay in the hall if they confirm her. We will show them where power lies if they betray us”

The nominee was however convincingly confirmed by the sharpely divided assembly members.

She pulled a near record result of 50 against 14 opposers out of 64 total voters. The results was announce by the deputy director of electoral commission, Mr. Danso Benjamin and she was briefly sworn into office by Northern regional minister Salifu Saeed.

Mr. Salifu who had earlier pleaded with residents to end all acrimonious advised the new Chief Executive Officer against discrimination and vengeance.

StarrNews witnessed an intense standoff between security guards and angry rioting party youth after the process. In an ensued confusion, the well-armed soldiers rushed towards and intercepted the youth who were scaling barricades and using unguarded paths in attempt to attack voters.

Stones and catapult were copiously flung at the entourage in rage and security forces whisked away the regional minister and the MCE.

Source: starrfmonline.com

Send your news stories to and features to . Chat with us via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Related Articles: